Predictably, my mind immediately went to roasted vegetables. But, um, that's kinda boring, ya know? Not when you roast them with red onions and harissa! Harissa is a North African spice blend that includes chili peppers and garlic along with cumin, coriander and some other spices. It gives the vegetables a smoky, almost BBQ-like flavor.
1 zucchini, cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 yellow squash, cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 eggplant, cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 small green peppers, cubed
1 red onion, in big pieces
3 Tbsp harissa spice blend
1 box Israeli couscous (mine is from Trader Joe's)
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil and harissa until thoroughly combined. Spread out on sheet pan(s).
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir & rotate pans, and roast for another 20 minutes.
- Optional: When the vegetables are done, turn off the oven & let the vegetables sit inside for a little bit of time (I let mine sit for hours.). This kind of dehydrates the vegetables a bit and concentrates their carmelized flavor.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to the directions on the box.
- When the couscous is done, toss everything to combine.
- Eat with roasted meats or alone as a warm salad.