Monday, September 28, 2009

CSA Monday! Watermelon Edition

I walk to pick up our CSA. Let me tell you...walking a mile with a watermelon in your sack is not fun. But thanks to the glorious fall-ish weather, I didn't break a sweat! The jerk chicken from last week was good. The jerk seasoning was also nice on the sweet potatoes. I really like to spice up my sweet potatoes. When I make sweet potato fries I usually add chili powder.

The Haul:
Watermelon, huge zucchini, cucumber, Italian basil, Thai basil, huge sweet potatoes, garlic and lettuce mix

The Plan:

Spicy Vegetable Red Sauce with Pasta: Basically, I'm just using of the squash and eggplant from last week that I shamefully didn't get around to using along with the mammoth zucchini from the week. Add in some garlic, onions, crushed red pepper and a can of tomatoes and it's good eatin'. For an army.

Ham Feast: Roasted sweet potatoes, ham and Southern-style greens spiked with cider vinegar.

Kra Pow with Bok Choy: To use the Thai basil. And hot peppers from the garden. This is the husband's lunch.

"Greek" Watermelon Salad
: Maybe for this weekend's lunch? Sounds interesting.

Watermelon Rind Pickles: If I've got the time, maybe something else I'll give a whirl this weekend. I've never had them, but love all things pickled.

2 comments:

  1. I made watermelon mimosas recently, and they were really good. I hightly reccomend them. The mimosas would have been even better with a little mint.

    The watermelon rind pickles seem like so much work to me - the Bitten Word made them once, and the project overtook their kitchen. But if you have the time, then why not?

    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. We got pumpkins, no cucumber or watermelon (although I was a bit spacy yesterday, so I may have just missed them). I'm glad, however--that end of the curcurbit family causes me death from allergies!

    I think I will make a pumpkin/sweet potato soup puree. Yummers!

    ReplyDelete