Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garden Planning Program

Interesting.

I was googling for classic designs of herb gardens and came across GrowVeg.com. They've got a free trial (one that you don't have to fork over you credit card info for) so I decided to try it out.

The basic idea is that it provides a grid and a rather exhaustive list of vegetables, fruits and herbs (it also has info on growing each of these) that you drag & drop onto the garden area you've created. It's also got a crop rotation feature. Plus? You've got a record of what you've planted where each year. They also say that they will email you to remind you of planting dates.

Now, I did this by hand last year, but kept changing my mind & had to redraw the garden area each time as well as draw back in the stuff I wanted to keep (or I could have drawn in pencil. whoops).

I'm not sure that I'll covert to GrowVeg.com (the subscription is cheap at $25/year) but it's certainly something to keep in mind...

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a cuter version of the garden maps I make using Microsoft Excel. I'd rather spend my money on seeds, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, doing the plans in excel is a brilliant idea! I do 80% of my work in excel & have no idea why I didn't think of that before...duh!

    This program is pretty cool though in that it will also give you an harvesting schedules (estimated) so that you can see, with one glance, if you'll have a steady harvest thoroughout the growing season.

    But, when it comes right down to it, I'll probably be like you and use the money for more seeds!

    ReplyDelete