Friday, May 28, 2010

I Spy...TOMATOES!!!

Guess who has internet back?!? This girl! Mercifully, housing construction is *almost* completed leaving me more time & access to garden.

Today makes me realize why gardening is so popular in England. Mild, low-humidity, slightly drizzly weather is the perfect gardening weather. It's cool (which makes you comfortable) and it's overcast (which is perfect for planting/transplanting). I took advantage & got my garden on by removing a bush and giving my perennials a bit more space (apparently they missed the "first year they creep" part of the old saying). That basically tuckered out this 8 month pregnant lady!

And during my gardening adventures, guess what I saw?!? TWO tomatoes. Granted, only one (Stupice. 65 days to maturity) was still attached to a tomato plant, but still. I have no idea why baby tomato #2 (Sheyboygan. 80 days to maturity) fell off. I'm really surprised that my two larger varieties of tomatoes beat out the Sungold to set fruit first.


In addition to impending tomatoes, I spied some garlic scapes (aka the flower stalk of hardneck garlic). Not sure how long I should let them grow though. Anyone know? Right now they are about 6 inches.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the tomatoes! I'm waiting for my own too.

    As for growing garlic, I've read that you have to wait until the stem dies before harvesting.

    ReplyDelete