Saturday, August 14, 2010

What You Get For Your Money: Summer Farmer's Market Update

I suppose I should title this "Late Summer Farmer's Market Update" but that might just be wishful thinking...

Every summer I have one goal: To get sick of tomatoes. I'm thinking after this week, that just might be happening.

Bargains were to be had this morning at the Falls Church Farmer's market. Check out my haul:
(uh, yes, that was me that took a slice before I took the picture. Whoops!)

All this eco-organic produce (2 heirloom tomatoes, 2 red tomatoes, 2 red bell peppers, and a bunch of eggplant) plus a ginormous onion & tomato foccacia were exactly $20. The eggplants were a great deal at $1/lb. No, they aren't pretty (hence the price, probably), but they will be great for grilling up & freezing. I am kind of kicking myself for not buying more...

Another great deal? This *huge* box of tomatoes:
How much? It was $15 for what my scale says is 27 lbs! Woohoo. I don't think these are organic, though. However, they do save me a trip to the You Pick farm which isn't organic either (not to mention that I probably shouldn't being doing that kind of thing right now). Plus, this was like $0.55/lb and the You Pick place is like $1.50...and I have to do all the work! I'll be canning most and the husband will be making his specialty: Pasta with Raw Tomato Sauce. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment