Friday, August 13, 2010

Recipe: BLT Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

What to do when you have an abudnance of tomatoes and just 1 leftover heart of romaine? Well, a BLT sandwich would be my normal answer (assuming you have bacon & bread around...which I always do!), but if most of your tomatoes are in the form of Sungolds, then you've got to rethink things. Thus, the BLT salad was born. I had considered making a ranch dressing for it (for some reason I really think creamy dressing is the way to go here), but I had a hunk of blue cheese leftover from Sprout's meet & greet party.


This salad would have been infinitely more delicious (and seasonal!) with baby mustard greens instead of romaine. I think the peppery bite would cut through the creamy dressing really well.

Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Inspired by Ina Garten

  • 4 ounces blue cheese, chopped (the stronger the better, IMO. Roquefort would be best. Gorgonzola is a bit mild so add extra if that's all you have on hand)
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (Ina uses tarragon, but I don't have that around)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix everything together and spoon over your salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment