Friday, August 20, 2010

Recipe: Edisto Tomato Pie

This recipe comes to you via my internet friend that lives in RoVA. As you may know, NoVA (Northern Virginia) is not really part of the deep south like the rest of the state (RoVA). As such, you'll find fewer casseroles served up dinner round these parts and you'll certainly find less use of mayo in cooking.

I know what you're thinking: "Warm mayo sounds foul." I once shared your beliefs until I found out some of my favorite casseroles included mayo. I had been eaten warm mayo! And lived to tell the tale!!

Thus, if you find yourself with a ridiculous amount of tomatoes and are willing to be brave, I urge you to give this recipe a shot. I doubled the recipe below, used Pilsbury pre-made pie dough & threw in into a baking dish instead of a pie plate. It would be especially nice served up with fresh field peas or butter beans (cooked with bacon or ham hocks, of course!).

Ingredients (Serves 6)
1 deep dish pie crust, pre-baked for 10 minutes at 375*
5 large tomatoes, cored & thickly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp of your choice: dried basil, dried thyme, dried oregano or mixture of all 3 (I did an equal part mix of all 3)
3/4 c mayo
1.25 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Directions
1. Turn down oven to 350*
2. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder & herbs in a bowl.
3. Arrange one layer of tomatoes in pie shell. Sprinkle over with seasoning mixture. Repeat until all tomatoes are used. (I left the ends of the tomatoes for the top.)
4. Mix mayo & cheese in a bowl. Top pie with mixture.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Looks harmless & delicious, right? That's because warm mayo is neither scary nor gross.

See? Told you! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment