Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Harvest Update

The garden was busy while I was in the hospital and getting used to being a mom of a human. Over the past few weeks I've harvested just over 6 lb of produce (mostly in the form of zucchini and tomatoes).

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it looks like a fungus is hitting my nightshade vegetables in the worst way. The Sungolds don't look as peppy as they did last year and my eggplants are pathetic. And my Mexican Gherkin Cucumbers have been taken over by my pickling cucumbers. I think the record heat of this summer and the mild drought are partly to blame. I'm the other part as it's been difficult to be vigilant this year for pests & diseases.

Blergh.

I'm thinking maybe next year I should focus on just a few vegetables (definitely tomatoes, ground cherries and arugula, maybe cucumbers) so that I get lots of those & just get the rest from the farmer's market. My garden just isn't quite big enough to accommodate a wide variety and still get enough harvest of one thing to cook with.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am coming to a similar conclusion about my garden. I wanted so much variety, but that means I get a paltry bowl of green beans every other day or so, when I really want to freeze some. And I could, if I gave up growing a couple other things. We'll see what next year brings.

    ReplyDelete