Wednesday, June 30, 2010

First Big Harvest of 2010, Part 2: Carrots


I've got a smallish garden so BIG harvests are usually few & far between...rarely does my market basket overflowth! However, yesterday the overcast morning and cooler temperatures tempted me outside to see what there was to pick.

In addition to the garlic I talked about yesterday, my pot of carrots (on the other side of the house as the garden) needed to be cleared out. The fronds of the carrots were starting to look sad and that side of the yard doesn't get much sun in the summer. Overall, I'm pleased with them. They are small, but nicely formed and taste pretty good. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet...they are almost too pretty to eat! Currently, my thoughts are going towards pickled carrots because I think they would very pretty in a jar and I love pickled vegetables.

My carrots I planted several weeks ago in the garden, however, are not doing so great. These are new seeds but they aren't germinating well. I have no idea if this is due to lack of water, chipmunk digging or what. I think I may be too much of a control freak for direct sow vegetables! Maybe I'll plant some more in a pot in the garden.

The Haul: 8.25 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment