Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lots of Basil (and More Beans!)

I really need to get better at using the garden produce.  It always comes as a surprise to me when something needs to be used & it really shouldn't be.  I vow from this point forward to take stock in what will likely be ready to harvest *before* I go grocery shopping and meal plan accordingly!

The big disappointment is my onions.  I think it's a little too shady for them & I planted them too close.  They haven't really bulbed much and the leaves are dying back.  The same story with my garlic!  Alliums, what's with the hate?!?

Luckily, I have basil, beans & cucumbers to cheer me up!  My cukes are taking over despite having a 6' tall trellis.  There are probably a dozen or more baby cukes just on the tee-pee trellis.  Pickles here I come!  The beans are also doing well.  I can't believe how much they produce.  Of course, the lettuce & Swiss chard makes it hard to find them which means they are often a little too mature (but still edible).  Oh, well.

The real hero, though, is basil.  Good gracious, the basil!  It was like 2' tall and definitely time to do a hard harvest (taking 2/3 of the plant).  It ended up being over 10oz!  I'm freezing most of it for winter use as there's no way we could eat that much basil in a few days (I need a break from pesto).

Totals for the past week are:
Basil 10.75oz
Cukes 4oz (not all pictured)
Beans 7.25 oz (not all pictured)
Onions 7.5 oz (not pictured)
Lettuce 2 lbs (!!! and there's still more...not pictured)
Kohlrabi 3 lb (this is all of it. not pictured)

Grand total for the year: 37.55

Not too shabby!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! This is year 2 for our garden and the first successful year with cucumbers--except I think I am leaving them a little too long because the squirrels keep getting them. Same with the zucchini : ( We do have an over abundance of basil and would love to hear more about freezing...are you doing that whole or in pesto form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words!

    Ultimately, I will freeze both pesto & leaves, but right now I'm just doing basil leaves. Essentially, I clean & chop the basil, stuff it into our muffin tin (because this holds 1/4c & that's how much we generally use for recipes), just cover the basil with water & then freeze. Once it's frozen, I pop them out & place in a (labelled!) zip-top freezer bag. They work great popping into soups or sauces. I don't think it would be good to make pesto from frozen basil, though.

    Incidentally, you can do this with any herbaceous...well...herb. Parsley, cilantro work too.

    ReplyDelete