Sunday, February 28, 2010

U-G-L-Y, You Ain't Got No Alibi...

My garden is so ugly right now. The weight of the snow totally destroyed my bunny fences and squirrels have been digging where I planted my garlic. And, it's still covered in leaves because I was too lazy to rake them up in the fall. Oh, and part of it is *still* covered in snow. Also? The tomatoes this year will need to be planted in the bed that gets more shade so I'm concerned that the harvest will be lackluster this year. My rosemary & lavender are totally squished under a bunch of snow. I hope they will recover.

So sad. I can't even bring myself to take a photo and post it.

Next weekend I vow to put forth a more concerted effort to tidy it up so that it both looks less pathetic and so I can plant arugula. Assuming the squirrels won't be disturbing the seeds of that!

Blah. I'm sure the winter blues will the slapped out of me soon. I should try problem solving; that usually makes me feel more in control of the situation.

Like: Perhaps I could put tomatoes in pots in the front yard? It gets more sun there. And maybe I could get some floating row covers or something to protect the things I'm direct sowing...

On the upside, the seeds I recently started have sprouted! That's something cheerful, at least. Recently sprouted seeds are the cutest for realz.

2 comments:

  1. My garden is still buried under four feet of the white stuff, so you may understand the deep depression I feel. Sigh. I can't wait for spring. And my tomato plants are totally going in pots this year. Even though the ground is buried, my planning is alive and well!

    ReplyDelete