Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Recipe: Sage Shortbread

I am not a baker. I mean-- don't get me wrong-- I love baked goods and sweets. I just don't particularly enjoy making them. For me, baked goods seem more tedious and dirty all the bowls, scoops and measuring utensils I own whereas for most of the savory dishes I make I dirty no more than a knife, cutting board and Dutch oven (part of it is that you don't need to measure, certainly).

However, my friend Sarah (now living on the left coast), is quite the baker. And, when I was complaining a while about about the amount of sage I needed to deal with, she gave me a recipe for Sage-Scented Shortbread. Sarah knows me all too well...if it's uncomplicated and dirties only 1 dish, it's for me. And, this recipe comes together all in a food processor. (Or, in my case, the mini food processor attachment to my immersion blender). Additionally, Sarah reports the dough freezes fabulously.
What does this cookie taste like? Well, they're not terribly sweet. In fact, they're a tad bit salty. The sage is very subtle...I'll increase the amount in the future. They would be perfect for a tea party or something different at holiday cookie exchanges. So delicious. Thank you, Sarah!

Below is the recipe & how I made it in my small-capacity food processor.

Ingredients:
  • 2 c all purpose flour, divided
  • 1/2 c powdered sugar, divided
  • 3 tbsp thinly sliced fresh sage leaves, divided (the original recipe has 2 tbsp, but I think a bit more would be nice)
  • 1 tsp coarse kosher salt, divided
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
Directions:
  • Put 1 c flour, 1/4 c powdered sugar, 1.5 tbsp sage leaves and 1/2 tsp kosher salt in a food processor. Process until combined.
  • Add 1 stick of butter (cut into a few pieces) to the food processor and process until the dough is formed.
  • Lay dough on a piece of wax paper, parchment or cling wrap and form into a 1-1/2 in wide log. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm or package for the freezer.
  • Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
  • To bake, preheat oven to 350*F. Slice cookies and place on lined baking sheets (you can place them fairly closely; they don't spread). Bake 10 minutes, rotate pans and bake another 10-15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love cookies that use herbs - those look lovely. I made some savory "shortbread" cookies that used Parmesan and Thyme for Thanksgiving last year, and they were really nice - almost like a cross between a cookie and a cracker. I wonder what these would be like if you took out the powdered sugar entirely, and made it an entirely savory "cookie." I bet it would make a great appetizer.

    ReplyDelete