Saturday, April 16, 2011

Garden Update- The Outside

Guess who has a job?!?  This girl!  It's part-time, but it's a great start.  I'm doing manual labor at an independent nursery and loving every minute of it. It's not only nice to have an excuse to be outside (and get paid for it!) but I'm also getting an excellent opportunity to meet and mingle with a bunch of plants I haven't dealt with before.  The downside, of course, is less time for my own garden...and this blog.  My apologies for not posting more this growing season thus far.

In comparison to the summer garden, the spring garden requires less watering (thanks to the spring rains), less seed starting (most of what I planted was directly sown) and less pests (although I anticipate this will soon change). I'm wondering why it took me so long to actually implement a proper spring garden. 

The kohlrabi is really taking off and a few are even starting to bulb up a bit.  The onion sets I planted are doing better than the seeds I started but I suppose that is to be expected?  I planted radishes on a whim and those are starting to really go crazy too.  In the photo below you can see all this, plus one of our blueberry bushes leafing out & blooming (yay!).



Last week I thinned the arugula and now you can't even tell!  I'll do another thinning/harvest this week to give them more room to grow.  However, in just a few short weeks it will be time to plant the summer vegetables, so a few squares of the arugula and mustard are going to have to make way for beans.  I'm looking forward to a sizable harvest for that!


Which reminds me that this weekend I need to start my cucumbers and squashes.  Shortly, I'll do an update of the summer vegetables I've already started indoors.  It's been a mixed bag there.

No comments:

Post a Comment