Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oops! Mistaken Identity



In our yard, we often get these little clusters of wild onions. They spring up in the darnest places and leave your yard with a faint onion smell. Needless to say, I'm not a fan. Even when they do flower. So when something bulb-like started sprouting all over our front planting, I was suspicious. And, erring on the side of caution, decided to rip it out. AND THEN...

We went to Meadowlark.

They had a large area of stuff that looked like the plants I removed. They weren't wild onions. Or weeds. They were actual flowers that people plant on purpose. Newbie mistake. Happens to the best of us, right?

What are they?! Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalus), the first blooming bulb of spring! HOLLA! They are hardy as well, which is lucky because I could save the ones I had pulled out earlier & replanted them. I think they have a good chance of survival. And, since they don't mind being divided while they are in bloom, I was able to separate the clumps and replant in a larger, more controlled area.

I think I'm going to love these little guys: They thrive in part-sun, bloom early and are almost unkillable. What's not to love?

2 comments:

  1. But does it smell like onion or were you imagining that because of what it looked like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it doesn't smell like onions, but the bulb does look like one. i wasn't sure if maybe wild onions don't smell in the cold...

    ReplyDelete